Friday, February 26, 2010

What Goes Up (2009)

A moody little bitch of a film, but you wouldn't want it any other way. At first I didn't know what to make of it, I suppose that's what happens when you are spoon fed the mainstream Hollywood blockbusters and rom-coms your whole life. Once I settled into the story and got a feel for the plot, I realised that I actually liked the characters, I was engaging with the story and I was enjoying the movie a lot more than I expected. I found myself wondering "where can I find more of this sort of thing". Steve Coogan gave a thoroughly convincing performance and was a joy to watch. Child stars were plentiful, with Hillary Duff and Josh Peck standing out. The side story's were pleasantly interesting and stopped the whole thing from becoming a twisted and muddled pool of curdled emotions, which it easily could have been.

Overall 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment